Ten Tips to Success

This morning I had the honor of speaking to a classroom of 11th graders after observing them for about 30 minutes. Let me tell you I really miss being in the classroom! I don’t miss all the crap that comes with being a “LAUSD Teacher”, but it felt really good to be in front of the kids. So as I was driving into the city this morning and listening to my weekly audio dose of “The Secret”, I got the idea of these 10 Tips to Success. They seem to work (based upon my experience) in a most situations, and it surely seemed appropriate after observing these youth in their classroom environment, so here they go: 

(BTW I promise next time to video tape my talk so you can get the full emotion and passion :)

  1. Smile
  2. Be enthusiastic
  3. Be engaged (in whatever task you are doing)
  4. Ask questions
  5. Be confident (love yourself enough)
  6. Take control (of life, the situation, whatever)
  7. Follow Up (send thank you emails, kind notes etc. to everyone you meet)
  8. Associations (your are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with)
  9. Mentor (get one and become one)
  10. Be Goal driven and Result Oriented